Welcome back students, faculty, staff, and anyone else who traveled away from Charlottesville for the holidays! The garden leadership team had our first planning meeting of the new semester yesterday to get ready for a great season!
The first event of the new semester will be an open garden planning meeting to gather ideas from all of our wonderful volunteers and develop a plan for spring plantings. The planning meeting will be Friday, January 29th at 3pm in Newcomb Hall room 389.
Like so many other anxious gardeners, I always enjoy looking through seed catalogs this time of year. If you don’t receive any in the mail, no worries, you can peruse the information online (and save paper at the same time!). A few worth checking out:
- Southern Exposure Seed Exchange – http://www.southernexposure.com/index.html
- SESE is a Virginia based seed company with many great heirloom and organic varieties. I especially enjoy the beautiful illustrations in their catalog and history about each vegetable.
- Johnny’s Selected Seeds – http://www.johnnyseeds.com/
- Based in Maine, many organic and heirloom varieties. A favorite among market growers.
- Seed Savers Exchange – http://www.seedsavers.org/
- Based in Iowa with growers across the country – all heirloom varieties. Gorgeous color photographs.
While you’re looking through, jot down any vegetables varieties you’d like to see grown in the UVa Community Garden and come share them on Jan. 29th. We’ll be looking for great ideas – hope to see you then!